To Taste background

Monday, February 28, 2011

Penne Alla Vodka

This past weekend Evan and I were being pretty lazy people! Saturday night we stayed in and I decided to make Penne Alla Vodka, which I love but I haven't made in a long time. I found this recipe about four years ago when I lived with my roommate Maj. We would always go to Noodles & Co. and get the Penne Rosa. We loved it!! Then I came across this recipe and it seemed like it would be pretty similar. I made the recipe exactly how it said the first time, but slowly I started changing it around and it has definitely become one of my favorites! I hope you enjoy it as much as Evan and I do!

Penne Alla Vodka
by Lindsey

Ingredients:

1 (46 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can of diced tomatoes
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup vodka (I have made it with and without the vodka and it is delicious either way!)
Salt and Pepper
Red pepper flakes (more if you like spice and less if you don't)
1 pound penne (I use whole wheat rice pasta, but any kind will work)
1/2 cup heavy cream (I know this makes is less healthy but it makes the sauce amazing!)
Flat Leaf Italian Parsley
1 cup spinach
1 container mushrooms sliced thin
Feta cheese (or your favorite kind of cheese)

Bring a large pot of water to boil.

In a large frying pan (with taller sides) heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat. Don't burn garlic, only cook till it turns a golden color. Remove pan from heat and add vodka. Return to heat and reduce by half. Add both cans of tomatoes and red pepper flakes. Simmer for a few minutes. Add spinach and mushrooms. Simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes.

Salt boiling water and add the pasta and cook till al dente, 10-12 min. Drain well and add to sauce.

Add cream and stir over medium heat until you feel that all the pasta is coated in sauce. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Add parsley and feta right before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment