To Taste background

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Prepare For The Snow!

It has been a pretty exciting week here in Milwaukee. We were expected to see up to 28 inches of snow from Monday to Wednesday....I think for once the weatherman was right! On Tuesday morning we woke up to a little bit of snow...but not a lot. We were expected to get the most snow on Tuesday night into Wednesday morning. So I went to the store and decided to get some things for dinner. My friend Carly posted a meal on her blog ( http://carlyskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/01/best-meal-ever.html) a few weeks ago and she raved about it so I thought since I had the time I would make it. It was a ton of work...but totally worth it! The recipe is from Ina Garten. If you would like the recipe you can see Carly's blog but here are some pictures...
I also made the beans and garlic potatoes!


Evan is saying, "Don't take that picture!"

I also decided to make Ina's Old-Fashioned Apple Crisp. Evan is always asking me to make Apple Pie because he loves it so much, but I have to admit I am not a huge fan of Apple Pie. I decided since I had all this time because of the snow I would make Ina's crisp because she always makes it on her show and it looks so good.

It was delicious and with a little vanilla ice cream it was even better! I invited my cousin Nicki and her boyfriend Andy down for dessert also...they loved it too!

Old-Fashioned Apple Crisp
by Ian Garten

Ingredients:
5 Pounds apples
Grated zest of one orange
Grated zest of one lemon
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Topping:
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 cup oatmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound cold cubed butter

Directions:
Preheat over to 350* and butter a 9x14 baking dish.
Peel, core, and cut apples into large wedges. Combine apples with zest, juices, sugar, and spices. Pour into dish.
To make topping combine flour, sugars, oatmeal, salt, and butter in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low until mixture is the size of small peas. Scatter evenly over apples.
Place crisp on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour until top is brown and apples are bubbly.




Hope you enjoy this recipe! Tomorrow I will have snow pictures and a delicious Chicken Piccata Recipe!

1 comment:

  1. love love love it linds! i think i might make that sometime next week :)

    ReplyDelete