To Taste background

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pickle Making!

Normally one would think that the middle of winter is not the time to make pickles....but I went to this new grocery store here in Milwaukee and they had such a good deal on pickles that I just couldn't help myself! Evan and I eat pickles like it is nobodies business. Evans Grandma Dorothy and my Grandma Issie used to make pickles all the time. My Grandma Issie passed away a long time ago and I haven't had one of her pickles in a long time, but Evans Grandma Dorothy passed away about 5 years ago and we are still eating her pickles!! She made so many it is unbelievable. Both recipes are delicious...but totally different.

I started pickling last summer and because Evan and I love pickles so much we ran out a few weeks ago, so this was the perfect chance to restock :) - One thing that was better this time around was that I had all the right equipment. Let me tell you, having all the right tools makes it much easier.

I can't give away the family pickle recipe but there are many books out there with recipes and if you love pickles as much as we do then I encourage you to make a batch!

Here are some pictures from my "mini pickle adventure."

These are the pickle spears waiting to be put in their jars.

The jars are first filled with garlic and dill.

My new canner (thanks Evan!)

Jars cooling and sealing

Finished product.


Now we just have to wait at least a month to try them! This part is hard for me...ask anyone who knows me, I am the most impatient person EVER!! But when we do try them I will let you know how they taste :)

No comments:

Post a Comment